Craving a delicious, savory tuna sandwich but can't stand the taste of processed, preserved mayonnaise? Fret no more, dear Paleo pals! I found a mayo recipe that will blow your freaking mind. This is an important recipe to have in your back pocket to make your favorite dishes that include this creamy condiment, and I want you to know you can do this! You can make mayo! But, full disclosure, you will need to get an immersion blender. I picked one up at the dollar store down the street from my apartment for $12.00. Believe me, it is worth the investment.
I got the recipe from this lovely blog, but this mayo recipe is probably as old as time.
- 1 large organic egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice- fresh squeezed is best
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup light olive oil
- Put egg, vinegar, salt, and lemon in a mason jar and blend with immersion blender until fully combined.
- While immersion blender is on, slowly drizzle oil into mason jar.
- Move blender up and down in the jar until it thickens. This should take a few minutes.
- Keep refrigerated. It lasts for about a week and yields about a cup and a half.
- Spread, blend, mix, and enjoy!
10g fat/0g carbs/.3g protein/83 calories (per 1 tbsp)
Note: I am not a nutritionist, and the above f/c/p breakdown is an estimate. Please consult a physician or dietician before embarking on a regimented diet.