Creamy Mushroom Lasagna from One Part Plant
As I mentioned in my Turtle Egg post about being skeptical about pretty much everything having to do with cooking, I absolutely didn't think this recipe would turn out. How could cashews taste like cheese? How could any of this stuff taste like lasagna? I should probably stop questioning the validity of food so much because I'm always SO WRONG!
This has got to be one of my favorite meals I've made in a while. The cashews taste like cheese, the sauce tastes like sauce, and Jessica Murnane did it again! I'm a believer!
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for a few hours/overnight
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 2 big handfuls spinach
- 10 ounces gluten-free noodles (FULL DISCLOSURE: I used zucchini noodles instead of gluten-free noodles and it was so delicious and I didn't miss the noodles at all!)
- 1 can marinara sauce, no sugar
- Preheat oven for 350 degrees.
- Throw the garlic in a pan with some avocado, coconut, or olive oil. Cook for about a minute until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and thyme to the pan. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Drain cashews that have been soaking, and add to a blender with a cup of veggie broth. Blend until smooth. (this could take up to 5 minutes)
- Slice zucchini into long, thin, wide noodles.
- Pour 1/3 of the jar of marinara to the bottom of a baking dish.
- Layer zucchini on top of the marinara sauce.
- Layer half of the mushroom sauce on top of the noodles.
- Layer another set of zucchini noodles.
- Pour more marinara sauce on top.
- Layer the other half of the mushroom sauce on top of the noodles.
- Add the last layer of noodles.
- Add remaining marinara sauce.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
So I did take liberties with recipe, but I think Jessica would be totally okay with it. Because it's all about eating real food. Replace one of your meals with this plant-based meal and trust me, it'll change your life, if not your day.